Technische Universität München Exchange
About This Program
- Location: Munich, Germany — Technische Universität München (TUM)
- Term: Fall/Winter Quarters, Spring Quarter, Full Year
- Language of instruction: English or German
- Eligibility: Open to NU Junior and Senior science and engineering students with a GPA of 3.0 or above (some departments may require a higher GPA)
- Program type: Exchange Program
- Program credits: Minimum Credit Requirement
- For Fall/Winter Quarters and Full Year: January 15
- For Spring Quarter: October 1
Click on the term below to access the program budget sheet.
Students participating in this program are subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policies for Northwestern-Sponsored Programs.
In this exchange program, students enroll directly at Technische Universität München (TUM) and take classes with local or international students. Northwestern students have the option of studying abroad for a semester or full academic year. Students pay Northwestern tuition and are responsible for travel and all other expenses (including room and board). Information on the visa process can be found through the TUM exchange website.
Technische Universität München (TUM), centrally located in Munich, consistently ranks as the number one science and technology university in Germany. Its curriculum includes a broad range of engineering and science disciplines and course offerings.
TUM classes for 4th year students (Northwestern seniors) are taught principally in English, since the 4th year in TUM corresponds to year 1 of the MS program. Thus Northwestern students are encouraged to attend TUM in the spring of their junior year or during their senior year or 5th year co-op or MS year, when there will be a broad range of English language course offerings.
Students will receive a transcript issued by TUM, and course credit will be eligible for transfer back to Northwestern as long as students earn course grades of C or better. Refer to the Credit Transfer Page for information on the “C” grade equivalent and minimum credit requirement for this exchange program.